The 6 Most Important Investments for the Self-published Author…
Where should new authors put their money?
Everything good comes at a price, either through time or money. When you invest your time to write a book, then you also must invest money to ensure it’s a success. Here the 6 places a new author should invest in their book.
- Editing. No matter what, professional editing is the best investment for any book. Every single successful self-published book has been worked over by an editing pro, without exception.
- Cover design. Give your idea to the pro’s who do professional cover design. Empire Publishing has in house professional graphic artists who specialize in cover design. You can write the greatest book since Don Quixote, but if it doesn’t have an eye-catching cover, nobody will ever discover the contents of your book.
- Book formatting. A close second to cover design, when it comes to important investments of your book. This is when it is better for a self-published author to hire the services of a professional literary service who specializes in formatting books for print and digital books. All of Empire Publishing’s packages include appropriate formatting for their books genre.
- Producing printed books and eBooks. Printed books remain the dominant format, and it’s too easy and inexpensive not to invest in eBooks as well. All of Empire Publishing’s packages come with an eBook!
- Maximizing distribution. Having your book available on Amazon isn’t good enough for most self-published authors. Using an aggregator like Empire Publishing can put your book and/or book link in dozens of the leading bookstores and book-selling websites around the world. Such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, etc…
- Marketing. This is the part of the publishing process that most writers hate, so investing in it is doubly important. For writers who are not marketing-inclined, spending money on consultations or hiring someone to market your book can make a huge difference in sales.
Side Note: Audiobooks are a great innovation, and with the rise in ownership of smart speakers like Amazon’s Echo or Google Home, they’ll continue to increase in prominence. Still, they remain a poor investment for new and independent authors. Until you garner a major following, you’re better off focusing on the more foundational aspects of publishing and promotion that will bring a higher return on your investment. Your book is your business, treat it like you would treat a storefront business. Polish it, promote it, advertise it, be proud of it.
Congratulations – you’ve recently put the finishing touches on your first book and now it published on Amazon and hopefully Barnes & Noble! Yay! Believe it or not, that is a rare accomplishment that not many people can claim. If you thought writing your book was hard work, brace yourself for the next necessary phase: marketing your book.
The tremendous recent changes to the publishing industry have been a double-edged sword: they offer greater opportunities for self-published authors but they bring a lot more competition. No matter how great your cover is and no matter how great the content is – a book will never sell itself. You and you alone are going to have to be creative if you want to boost your sales. One way to do it is through effective use of social media. So how do you use social media to promote your book?
Here are seven social media marketing “musts” for first-time authors.
1. Create great Social Media Posts with Quality Content
You put in a lot of time and energy to ensure your book is of the best it can be, and you’must match that quality and make your social media content stellar. Your audience wants/needs distilled information presented clearly and directly. Since you are now an author, you can claim a degree of expertise in your chosen subject. Use that expertise to make every Facebook post, Instagram Post, LinkedIn article, and Tweet a highly engaging experience. Provide tips and information your readers won’t find anywhere else, and do it in a concise fashion. If you have written a Romance Novel, instead of providing tips you provide a juicy piece from your book… get people slobbering on themselves and wanting to know more. Ask questions about what readers are looking for in your genre.
2. Investigate new media
Facebook and Twitter are among the top social media platforms, but that’s not to say you should focus on them to the exclusion of all else. Pinterest, Instagram, and Vine are all good options too. Tumblr can also be a great place for Authors to get engagement with readers. You should make a “page” on Facebook just for your book. Name the page the Title of your book. That way you are easy to find. And you can use that as your fan page. Do not try and do them all – all at once, though. Engage one at a time, with a clear strategy for each, and you can effectively increase your reach. Consider writing short blog posts with links to your book. Posting your blog posts on Social Media is a way to say a lot more to your audience. One place I always direct new authors to is Good Reads. Go on there and claim your book and develop your Author Profile. Invite friends to Good Reads and connect your Good Reads account to your Facebook page. This is a form of cross-marketing that works really good. Yes initially it takes some time to do all of this, but you can accomplish all of this in just 4 hours a week. And your book deserves 4 hours a week of dedication to getting it seen. In only 90 days you will see your ranking get higher on Amazon and your book sales will elevate.
3. Respond to each comment
The last thing a writer has time to do is sit on their social media pages waiting to instantly jump to reply to every comment. So if you have created a “Book Page” on Facebook, you can have a couple of admins to help respond to comments or messages. Always remember the “social” element of social media. Respond to each and every comment, whether positive or negative. Your goal is to develop a conversation and an ongoing relationship with your followers. Even if you’re simply expressing gratitude for someone taking the time to comment, you’re doing yourself, and your book, a big favor.
4. Connect with other authors
Be sure to connect with authors in the realm or genre of your book. Respond to some of their posts and start to develop a relationship. You can gain exposure this way, and you never know what a fellow author might be able to assist you with. You can also exchange reviews with other authors. Getting reviews is very important, and sometimes you need some to get started. Offer a free Kindle download to your readers and other authors and politely ask for a review.
5. Offer an inside look at your book
Consider providing a link to your website (if you do not have one refer to number 6 below) from your social media accounts where a follower can download an inside look at your actual book – the first chapter, for example. It’s a great move that can ultimately improve your sales. You just need to put a chapter in a PDF format so they can download it. Social media is an interactive format, meaning you should be trying to get your readers involved.
Social media marketing for writers is serious business, and there’s a good bit of work involved if you’re going to get it right. If you start to develop a solid audience and then make a misstep, you’ve just wasted valuable time and energy. Manage your schedule as best you can, giving 4 hours a week of your time to devote to your social media marketing and improve your book sales. You can break that into 1 hour 4 times a week or 2 hours twice a week. The first 90 days is critical to stay consistent. After that, you can reduce to 3 hours a week. Now you need to consider writing book two. (See number 7 below).
6. Develop your Author Central Page on KDP
If you are a self-published author, then you have a KDP account. In your KDP go search and type in “Author Central” sign up and develop that page. Even if you have a website, you can use this Author Central link on all your social media posts. This is a great way to tell readers more about yourself, add pictures and videos and you can also attach your blogs RSS feed to your Author Central page. At Author Central, you can share the most up-to-date information about yourself and your works with millions of readers. Learn more See timely sales data for free, including sales trends over time and a map that shows where in the US your books are selling.
7. Start thinking about writing your second book
Now that you have established some fans from book 1, this is a great time to get them involved with your second book before it is even published. You can ask questions like “What is a good name for my 19th Century European Princess in my upcoming book?” Or, “should I make my next book a little sexier?” Start giving little exciting clues about the plot of your next book on Social Media. This will set you for increased sales when you do your next book launch and it will entice people to want to buy your first book so they can start a collection of your books. The second book says to people, “I am an established Author” and this gives you far more credibility as an author. Think of a songwriter, we make jokes about the one hit wonder, it hit the charts but they never got another song out there. Don’t be a “One Book Wonder” go for the whole package and become a well known respected author.
Good luck and happy bookselling!
If you want someone to help you get everything all set up, please contact us, we are here to help!
It goes without saying that unless you are Dr.Oz or a well-known doctor or speaker on the topic of health and natural healing, that if you write a book about this topic, it is a hard sell. However, there are ways to get your book the attention it deserves. And increase the sales of your book, and gain notoriety in the book selling world.
Man Authors have done extensive research on certain topics in regards to health and body, natural cures for disease or holistic health, and their books have a wealth of information that would be or could be life-saving information for thousands of people. But, how do you know which book to buy? How does an Author get in front of the right people at the right time?
I wrote a book called “A Mother’s Wisdom, Natural Healing Remedies, Faith, and Wellness” and I quickly learned that just having my book on Amazon, and Barnes & Noble was not enough. I did some Social Media posts and it helped a little tiny bit. I published a couple of chapters on my personal blog, and that helped a little tiny bit, and then I started looking into how to sell books of this genre. I learned from experience, that it takes some fine tuning, using the right keywords and doing the promotions in the right places.
There are some steps that an Author needs to take after they publish their book, depending on how many books they want to sell will depend on which strategies to use.
If you contact the book marketing people with Empire Publishing, you can get the ball rolling pretty fast. Expert advice and top notch customer service with the combination of seeing your book sales rise each month is a winning combo!
If you have a book in the Health and Body genre and want to know how to increase books sales, please do not hesitate to make the call. It will be the best choice you can make for your book.
Go here now: MARKETING ASSISTANT
The price is awesome, only $299.00 and you get so much more than you could imagine. Because you not only get the help you need but you get one on one personal training that you will be able to use every month.
Happy Book Selling!
For more tips on book publishing or bookselling visit https://empirepublishingblog.wordpress.com/
A SMART CHOICE
There is a hurdle that Authors come upon when it comes to making royalties and doing promotions for book sales. The profit an Author makes off of one book sold on AMAZON can be on average, between $1.00 and $8.00 per book depending on what the selling price of the book is and the wholesale cost of printing it.
There are many ways to market a book, some cost more money and some marketing strategies do well for one book while another Author using the same strategy for their book of a different genre will not work as well for their book. There is no perfect formula for selling a million books. But there are some sure-fire ways you can increase your sales. While I am not going to address all of those options in this post, you can hop over to a page I wrote before and gain a lot of information there. Click on this Book Marketing Link and it will take you there. But first, keep reading for the best thing you can do if you want to publish a book, but are overwhelmed with the options and the prices of using a professional Self-Publishing Company.
A New Strategy – Guaranteed – Better For Publishing and Making Money!
The initial cost of publishing can range dramatically, depending on your word count, the level of editing, and if you choose a package that includes marketing. The range is from $299.00 to $10,000.00 which means the money going out for publishing can directly affect how much you have to put towards marketing. But the Author is in a catch of 22 because in order to sell more books you need to market the heck out it, especially as a new release.
Empire Publishing has teamed up with PayPal Credit, which will allow an Author to publish their book and not have to pay off the publishing package for 6 months. It takes on Average 6 to 8 weeks from the time of submission of your manuscript to the time of the book going live on Amazon. Then, Amazon does not pay Royalties for another 60 to 90 days after going live. So the Author is out a lot of money before they ever make one penny.
Allowing this payment plan option to pay off in 6 months, gives the Author the benefit of having a book published and Royalty payments already being deposited to their bank account before they ever have to pay off the publishing package means that they can do better promotions and sell a lot more books.
You can purchase Publishing packages, Marketing Packages, Services or anything you want or need all with our Finance Option directly from the Empire Publishing Website. Simply click on the Payment Plan Credit Link on the product or service you want or need for your book and we start the process as soon as you send over the manuscript.
Now that is the deal of the century!
Start your fingers to typing! You have a book to publish!
Other Good information about Book Publishing can be found here “The Book that Never Lived”
I had to do it! I had to write about this topic. It seems that AMAZON has taken a turn for the Monopoly Highway.
Now, on AMAZON KDP an Author can upload their manuscript to have a print on demand print book available.
Similar to what Createspace offers. But do not fall for it, read more to know why.
This is what is says on their KDP Print I have copied and pasted here the exact verbiage from their own website:
Publish Your Paperback on KDP (Beta)
You can now publish paperbacks in addition to Kindle eBooks. We’ll be adding more print-related features like proofs, author copies, and expanded distribution to bookstores and non-Amazon websites. CreateSpace still offers these features, and KDP will too.
Publishing a paperback can help you reach new readers. KDP prints your book on demand and subtracts your printing costs from your royalties, so you don’t have to pay any costs upfront or carry any inventory.
Benefits of publishing paperbacks with KDP include:
- Distribution: Reach paperback readers through Amazon websites in the US, Europe, and Japan.
- Royalties: Earn up to 60% royalties on the list price you set, minus printing costs.
- Rights: Maintain creative control and own your copyright with our non-exclusive agreement.
- Get to market fast: Publish your paperback for international sale in just a few days.
- 100% availability: Printing on demand means your book will never be out of stock.
Please allow me to explain why this is a mistake for anyone who wants to publish a quality book and have the opportunity to make money selling their book.
- Do not assume that readers and book buyers are ignorant. You would be surprised how many people look to see if a book is self-published through CreateSpace or Amazon before they decide to purchase it. The reason why is because readers know that subpar material is being produced by self-published Authors, due to lack of editing or proper formatting. They know that many people are producing junk and calling it a book. There is no quality control with self-publishing. Sophisticated readers will not waste their time or money on low-quality books. This doesn’t mean that good books can’t come out of the self-publishing world, but readers expect a higher average standard of books published by a Publishing house and are willing to pay for it at an even higher price.
- Do not waste a readers time. If you have decided to publish an unedited book on KDP and do not know proper or correct book formatting then get ready to be cremated by any reviews you get. Even if you have an interesting story or are providing some good information, if it is written poorly, or has editing issues or formatting issues, you are sure to get negative feedback. Because the reader/buyer will feel like you have wasted their time, and they will be sure to use their time to warn other potential buyers to not waste their money.
- Do not assume that your book will be available everywhere books are sold. This is just not the case. Libraries will not carry books that have a CreateSpace or AMAZON publishing stamp on it. And most bookstores that carry new books will not either. There are Ma and Pa bookstores who will carry a self-published book on consignment, but you must provide the books for them and then remember to follow up every month to see if they sold and you can supply them with more if so. Now, as of today April 19th, 2017, you can’t even buy your book at wholesale cost if you publish with AMAZON. Yes, you can with CreateSpace, but not with Amazon. So if you order your books at the selling price, how can you make any money by reselling them? They do not have a wholesale price available for the Author. Also, they said right there in their own words “Distribution: Reach paperback readers through Amazon websites in the US, Europe, and Japan.” This is through ONLY Amazon distribution channels. Your book will not be available on Barnes & Noble.
- Do not expect to see any substantial income from the sales of your book if you publish with Amazon. First off, you did notice, that they said you can earn “UP TO 60%” Royalties. They didn’t say you would get a guarantee of 60% Royalties. Conveniently, they do not elaborate anywhere on their website that I was able to find, as to what guarantee of a percentage of royalty you will actually get. They just said “up to 60%” and then that is all that is said about your royalties. Now think about this, you write the book, you do the work to publish it on their platform and then they can’t even be honest with you about how much Royalties you are really going to earn? With CreateSpace, you get 100% Royalties. I smell a rat.
Now, let’s talk about the real reason why Amazon is doing this.
Amazon is not really a good friend to Authors. Once you establish this fact in your mind it is easier to connect the dots as to what Amazon is up to. Yes, everyone wants to have their book being sold on Amazon because they are a major book distributor. Yes, they are allowing indie-author a path to publish their own work and get worldwide distribution, so on the surface, it looks like Amazon is a dream for indie-authors. This is an illusion. They are preparing for marketplace war with Barnes & Noble and trying to acquire a complete monopoly.
How many bookstores have closed up since the rise of Amazon? I use to have Hastings, Borders and few other bookstores that were thriving in my city, but now the only one in my city is Barnes & Noble.
Well, do not think for two seconds that Barnes & Noble is not preparing for this war. Because they are. Soon, they will be competing with Amazon and blowing them away. The latest news on the literary grapevine is that Barnes & Noble is getting ready to launch their own print on demand – that will be available in every one of their stores. Imagine, no more having to wait 4 or 5 days for your book, just walk into Barnes & Noble and have them print it right there. Bam! That my friend is competition. And by Amazon trying to get everyone to self-publish through using their own platform, will prevent the Author from being able to have their book sold through Barnes & Noble.
The end game: Two monsters of the book distribution channels go to war, and Amazon can enjoy a slice of humble pie.
Do not side with Amazon or fall for their tricks. They are becoming a big bully and ripping people off.
For more information on Amazon smelly rat dealings check out this news article.
Empire Publishing Summer Offer!
One Author will win a free publishing package for their manuscript.
The winner will receive a Free Silver Combo Publishing Package.
MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSION RULES:
- A minimum of 20,000 words and a maximum of 60,000 words.
- No photographs or illustrations.
- No Pre-published manuscripts.
- Story-line must be about a Hot Summer Story (Romance Fiction)
- Only English submissions are eligible.
- Manuscript must be in a Microsoft Word Doc format
*Author agrees to receive 60% royalties for all Print and Kindle books sold online via AMAZON and Barnes & Noble etc..
*Author can buy as many books as they want at wholesale price.
*Author winner must sign a Publishing agreement contract with Empire Publishing to agreed terms.
*Submissions must be sent by email, to Francesca@empirebookpublishing.com
*Deadline for submissions June 2, 2017
Meet a few of our Authors… By, FrancescaM.B
This blog post is more on the casual side and so will be written more informally than some of my previous blog posts. I thought I would talk a little bit about my Authors and their books and the book publishing process for each Author. As an Author Representative for Empire Publishing, I get the wonderful opportunity to meet with all sorts of different people and help them bring their hard work to fruition. My hope is that in writing this, it can help other inspiring Authors understand that they are unique and that their writing and their dream that they have, is worth every bit of the effort to see it through. I am going to discuss the different ways each Author made their dreams come true. And hopefully, it will inspire someone out there to give me a call and let me do the same for them. I will list a few of my unique Authors in chronological order so you can see how we, as a company, and I as an Author Representative worked out something very special for each one.
- Sam Lybrand, Author of God Save America was my very first Author whom I helped to get his book published. When Sam called me, from South Carolina he was a very polite man inquiring about getting his manuscript published. He didn’t really have too much of an idea of the process. He only knew that he had finished his manuscript and began the process of calling around to different publishers to find out more information. Sam is retired, living on Edisto Island. He is on a fixed income, and his concern was how much it would cost. He was a retired salesman, so he figured he would make money off his book once it was published. But he had a mission, he wanted to write about American Standards of Behavior, which is the subtitle of his book. He is a Christian man, and he wrote about Christian values in our country. When I heard the passion in his voice for the message he so badly wanted to get out – I knew I had to find a way to help. And I knew I could. I arranged for him to publish his book, without breaking his bank. In this arrangement, Sam got what is more like a Traditional Publishing package, where he didn’t have to use any money out of pocket, and Empire takes 40% royalties from books sold online. And Sam got 60% of the royalties. He was so happy with his book, he called back later, and with the royalties from his book, he was able to buy the CopperPackage and receive 100% Royalties on his second book, Sam’s Edisto Island Paradise. Sam, is now selling hundreds of his books to local stores and gift shops all around Edisto-Island.
Next, comes Barbara Klein who wrote the Emmi Stories. Emmi the Pink Elephant, volume 1 and 2 are Christian short story books. Barbara did all of the illustrations herself. Not by drawing or painting, but, by cutting out construction paper, the pictures have amazing detail for being cut from different colors and textures of paper. However, due to the nature of this type of illustration, we had to come up with a way for her to scan them and then we had to enhance the color and do a special interior formatting so that each illustration was vivid and made to fit the size book she wanted. She had already published three inspirational books with another publisher before she discovered Empire Publishing. Her first book she published with Empire Publishing was A Memoir Mosaic, The Europe of my Heart. Barbara Klein was a missionary, and she traveled around the world for 35 years, on one-way plane tickets. Her memoir reflects those amazing memories. All of her books are available on AMAZON. And she has a website that was created by Empire Publishing www.OverflowingWells.com.
The Unrelented by LeRoy Tyon, is a story about Crazy Horse and the Battle of Little Bighorn. I first got the call from his wife Joan, who was searching for a way to publish LeRoy’s story. His story is told in an authentic Sioux tone, as he told the story exactly how it was passed down by his ancestors. Leroy is Native American Sioux Indian and his great great grandfather fought with Crazy Horse as a warrior. LeRoy and Joan did not have access to a computer with a word doc, so they snail mailed it to me all typed up and I retyped it in a word doc and then drove it up to their house about an hour and half drive my house. They are both retired and living on a fixed income, so I made the same deal for them as I did for Sam. They paid me for my time to type it up in a word doc and for me to help them do some social marketing to get them exposure for their book. They are now (in less than 9 months) all set up to get 100% royalties and are doing their own social marketing on Facebook. The book can be purchased in print or on Kindle.
Next up, Author-Artist Galina Evangelista who was born and raised in Russia, had written three large manuscripts and had published one book many years ago with a different publisher. Her flagship book is What Price Freedom a true story about one woman escaping cold war Russia to save her Jewish son. Her second book a full novel, she published with us was Family Secrets about Russian Billionaire, and the story is quite fascinating. I got the call from her agent Steve one day, and he told me about her books and her art – that is out of this world gorgeous. I was excited to meet Galina, and as it turned out, she was even more amazing than I could imagine. Her life story, her talents, and her charm. She went on to publish 4 more books after the first two, the Richy Knight series, that are written for the young adult. All of the illustrations are her original artwork. Galina and her agent selected the Titanium Package for her books which included for us to make her website www.GalinaEvangelista.com where not only did we put her books on, but we also created a Gallery for her art. Galina does custom art pieces, and her art is being showcased at different Galleries in Las Vegas Nevada.
I got a phone call one day, from a lovely lady, Patricia De Clemente, she wasn’t feeling well, but she had proceeded to tell me about her poetry. She wanted to publish her poetry. She had them all typed up in a word doc and was ready to move forward with the process. However, she was not able to work very fast at getting the information we needed. She shared with me that she was undergoing treatment for stage 4 lung cancer. I helped her to write the synopsis for her book and got her Facebook Page all set up for her. We published her lovely book of heartfelt poems called Heart Song the Memoirs of a Poet, and we also put it Kindle. Patricia had taken a journey to Maui and she had some beautiful photographs that she had taken, so she wanted the book to contain these photographs, and felt they needed to be in color to show the true beauty of what she captured in that moment. When publishing in color, it causes the price of the book to go up. And her poetry is so beautiful we didn’t want anyone to pass on buying the book due to the higher price of color, so we made the book available in both black and white as well as color. My Authors all touch my heart in some way. But Patricia felt like I had met a kindred spirit. And I hope I get to meet her in person some day. I am happy to report that she is feeling much better and I can hear joy returning to her voice and she is considering writing a second book of short stories.
- The last on my list today, is one of the most recent new release publications, however, I started talking on the phone with J.M. Gonzales nearly two years ago. She is a brand new first time Author and has been diligently writing her novel about Sophia Avery, in Broken Silence (drama) to get it ready to be published. she has professional blogging experience and has even written for the Huffington Post. She is already working on her second novel now, and we are excited to publish her second book when she gets it finished. This young aspiring Author did a lot of research looking for just the perfect publishing company that she felt good about and found to be the most affordable in self-publishing packages. We offered her a 6-month payment plan for the Silver Package that was in her budget. It came with a Kindle edition as well. She selected her own cover art and our design team created the cover. It turned out fantastic. I think we are all happy with the results of her book, and we wish her millions of sales in the future!
I wish I could write about all my wonderful Authors, but I am afraid my page would be too long. If you or someone you know has a story they want to tell, please have them contact me at Francesca@Empirebookpublishing.com Visit us on Facebook or Twitter
In the Book Publishing world we meet all sorts of interesting people. Meeting with a variety of different personality types, who have interests that can range from anything in the world to anything under the sun. Some are highly intellectual, some are seasoned by life experience, and some are just seeking information that may apply to them or someone they know. But over the course of time, I find that I keep answering some of the same questions over and over. Or I find that many Authors or aspiring Authors have not quite fully comprehended the entire concept of all that is needed to publish their book and do not really grasp the difference between Book Publishing, Book Printing and Vanity Publishing.
In this article, I am going to address each of these and my hope is that it will help send people in the right direction so they may accomplish what they are intending to accomplish.
Let me start by giving you an example of a typical conversation that we have on a daily basis with some people who call our company. And I know other Publishing companies out there are getting the same type of phone calls, probably due to lack of proper information for the author seeking advice.
The dialog usually goes something like this:
(Caller) “Hi, I want to meet with someone about getting my book published”
(Publisher’s Representative aka PR) “Wonderful! do you have your manuscript completed?”
(Caller) “Not yet, I just wanted to get some ideas of what to do next”
(PR) “What do you mean? Do you need a Ghost writer?’
(Caller) “NO, I just want to know what I need to do next to get my book published”
(PR) “The first thing you need to do is finish your manuscript”
(Caller) “Well, I need money, and I want to sell my story for a few thousand dollars to a publisher, I already have about 25 pages written and it is going to be really good.”
(PR) “Great start! Good Luck with that however. Before you can do anything to be paid, the work must first be completed, once completed you need to have it edited professionally. Once you do that, then you can submit your book to Publishing Houses, but you must follow certain guidelines before you submit your manuscript, such as write a very good query letter.”
(Caller) “But I have something that I know will sell and it will make a lot of money, My friend told me it should be a movie. I could finish it pretty fast, but could I get $1000.00 up front before I submit it?”
(Caller) “Well, how can I get some money for my book?”
(PR) “Finish your manuscript first, then take the next steps, if you want to publish traditionally, you need to acquire a literary agent, you can find a lot of information on the internet, even on our own website www.Empirebookpubishing.com that will help you, or you can even download our free publishing guide “Self-Publishing Simplified“
(Caller) “Well I don’t have my own computer, and can’t do downloads.”
(PR) “What are you writing your manuscript in?”
(Caller) “I have a journal book I write in, I already have 25 pages written, I am writing in pencil so it can be erased if I make a mistake”
(PR) “When you are done with your story, you need to type it in a Word Doc, so that it can be uploaded, for publishing”
(Caller) “I don’t type very good, I thought the Publisher typed it up?”
(PR) No, there are typing services you can call to type it for you, but that is not what the publisher does.”
(Caller) “Well who should I call to get my book published?”
(PR) [re-explains the above steps]
—– 20 minutes later – End Conversation —–
Okay so you can see why I am writing about this from reading the above scenario, right?
So in order to simplify this message allow me to give you a brief idea of the different types of publishing available.
- Traditional Book Publishing: Where a Publisher retains rights to your book and receives 60% to 70% of the royalties depending on intellectual negotiations, between Author and Publisher. A large publishing house will not accept unsolicited manuscripts. They do not want to be bothered with the troublesome of having to sift through the thousands of manuscripts submitted monthly. Instead, the large publishing houses have handed the job of finding marketable manuscripts over to literary agents. To get through the door of well-known publishing houses, you must have an agent behind you, and acquiring an agent can be a difficult task. In the traditional publishing model, the publisher assumes the risk of publication and production costs, selects the works to be published, edits the author’s text, and provides for marketing and distribution, provides the ISBN, and satisfies whatever legal deposit and copyright registration formalities are required. Such a publisher normally pays the author a fee, called an advance, for the right to publish the author’s work; and further payments, and royalties, based on the sales of the published work.
- Self-Publishing: Where the Author retains all rights to their book and receives all the royalty and profits. Author controls the pricing of the book above the production costs, and promotions are the responsibility of the Author. The publishing process is usually outsourced, depending on the needs of the Author. An ISBN number is either purchased with Self-Publishing packages offered by Literary service bureaus or can be purchased through Boker.
- Vanity Publishing: In the words from Wiki, “The term “vanity press” is considered pejorative, implying that an author who uses such a service is publishing out of vanity and that his or her work would not be commercially successful.” A vanity press may assert control over rights to the published work and provide limited or no editing, some will offer cover art, or marketing services in exchange for their fee. Vanity presses may engage in deceptive practices or costly services with limited recourse available to the writer. Typically, a Vanity Publishing often times has their own press, and they will print and bind your manuscript, however, they have limited distribution if any for the Authors finished work. This is not a good option for those looking for worldwide distribution and a consistent residual income. However, a Vanity Press will serve a good purpose to those only needing a short run of printed books, or for those desiring to have less than 500 copies printed for their own use or for sales tools, such as someone who does lectures or teaching at conventions.
- Literary Service Bureau: A Literary Service Bureau assists a Self-Publishing Author in getting their book professionally published and available for mass distribution, so their book can be sold on the World Wide Web, such as AMAZON, Barnes & Noble and more than a dozen other online book distributors. Using a reputable Service Bureau with a highly trained staff can save a lot of time and headache. Service Bureaus offer services from editing, proper interior formatting, Cover Art Design, Author Webpage, eBook formatting, Websites, and Marketing materials to establish a solid platform for an Author to be successful. You can pay a Literary Service to do as little or as much as you like depending on your needs, and or depending on the word count of your book. For instance, if you have an 80,000 word manuscript that needs to be edited, you re going to pay more than someone who has a 30,000 word manuscript. Editing is charged by word count in most cases. But many Service Bureaus include editing with full service packages. Full service packages can be costly, ranging from $5,000.00 to $12,000.00 but most of these packages come with expanded distribution and marketing bundles, that will help launch the success of the book.
- eBook and iBook Publishing: This is also called “Digital Publishing” – An electronic book (or e-book) is a book publication made available in digital form, that is readable on the flat-panel display of computers, or other electronic devices such as Kindle by AMAZON or the eBook device Nook presented by Barnes & Noble. Although sometimes defined as “an electronic version of a printed book”, some e-books exist without a printed equivalent. Commercially produced and sold e-books are usually intended to be read on dedicated e-reader devices. Sometimes an Author may want to include an eBook to enhance sales of their printed book, and yet there are some Authors who only choose to publish their work on digital devices and bypassing the printed book altogether. Another digital publishing device is iBooks, an Apple division, to download books on Apple devices such as iPad’s, iPhone’s, iPod Touch etc…
If you want to be a Self-Published Author of your work and share your story with the world, the best option is to choose a highly trained company designed specifically to do all that is required to ensure the best possible scenario for the success of your book. Empire Publishing makes publishing easy and stress-free. We have simplified book publishing by streamlining the process and making it virtually effortless for the author. Our publishing packages are superior in all regards to that of our competitors.
Write – Publish – Market – Make Money!
Go With The Gold!
The Title of this post may seem a bit on the self-serving side, seeing how it is directly about our Gold Publishing Package. In all honesty and true integrity of this post, I am not trying to toot my horn. However, I want you to know that I have diligently researched all the other credible Book Publishing companies on the world wide web, and I am confident that no one else out there is offering this much bang for your buck. In fact, I was half-tempted to raise the price, when I saw what others are charging for similar packages. But, I would not feel right about it. We have fair prices and superior production. Our number one competitor is charging $1499.00 and does not offer all that we offer, and we are offering it for $500.00 less! That is right; we are $500.00 less expensive and not to mention we offer a boatload more in this package. I honestly understand why so many Authors who are doing their research correctly acknowledges the benefits of choosing the Gold Package, with Empire Publishing. It is our number ONE selling package.
Here is what an Author gets when choosing the Gold Publishing Package:
The Gold package was precisely designed and well thought out for amateur and semi-pro authors who are serious about launching a career in writing without spending an enormous amount of money.
The “Gold” combo-publishing package includes upgrades on services, more custom cover options, interior options, many trim sizes, expanded distribution and promotional tools.
The “Gold” combo-publishing package includes a personal publishing consultant and/or Author assistant to be your “go to person” throughout the publishing process and will also help put together a marketing strategy for the author’s book. The amazing Gold Package also includes social media development to begin building an author platform that will place name recognition online which is needed to generate book sales. As with all Empire Publishing packages, authors receive more for the money than our what competitors are offering.
Furthermore, options are available to upgrade any service by adding on as a-la-cart items. Add-ons are very common because many times an Author realizes that they would benefit from additional marketing resources or publishing tools. However, with the Gold Package, everything an Author needs to sell books right out of the gate is built into this package.
Gold Publishing Package Specifically comes with:
- Custom Interior
- Mechanical Editing
- ISBN Bar Code
- Premium Cover
- Trade Paperback Publishing
- eBook (Kindle)
- Author eStore
- Web Page for your Book with Links to Amazon and Barnes & Noble.com
- Video Trailer (30 to 40 seconds)
- Social Media Promo (Facebook and Twitter)
- 25 Bookmarks with your book cover and your www.yourbook.com printed on them.
- 5 Free Books (Paperback)
- Tier Two Feature (Front Table of New Books)
- Amazon “Look Inside” and Google “Preview”
- Barnes and Nobel “Read Instantly”
- Worldwide Distribution
Book reviews are vitally important in order to be ranked well on AMAZON.com –
You may have a great book with outstanding content, but without reviews, it will not be ranked well on AMAZON. Being highly ranked increases your book sales. Because it increases your visibility on AMAZON. Which Self-Published Authors desperately need. There are guidelines for leaving a review, and before leaving a review you should read their guidelines. Click here for AMAZON GUIDELINES.
Now that being said as the opening for this discussion I want to address some of the problems that Authors are being faced with. Because there are some things happening that are not exactly
From AMAZON.com: “Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review.”
One can actually lose all of their priveledges to leave any review on any product they purchased and also no longer be able to participate in AMAZON Discussions if they violate the guidelines.
Here are a few examples of reviews that AMAZON does not allow:
- A product brand posts a review of their own product
- A customer posts a review in exchange for cash, a free or discounted product, a gift certificate, or a discount off a future purchase provided by a third party
- A customer posts a review in exchange for entry into a contest or sweepstakes or membership in a program
- A customer posts a review of a game in exchange for bonus in-game content or credits
- A relative, close friend, business associate, or employee of the product creator posts a review to help boost sales
- A customer posts a review of the product after being promised a refund in exchange for the review
- A seller posts negative reviews about a competitor’s product
- An author posts a positive review about a peer’s book in exchange for receiving a positive review from the peer
What is interesting and frustrating about reviews and people who leave negative reviews is that an Author will attack another Author and cream them about their book and AMAZON will not take the review down. But, if someone leaves a positive review and AMAZON private eye detectives (I’m really not joking with that comment) find that you have ever left a review for someone they feel you are associated with, they will say you are biased and take down the review and not allow you to leave any reviews on any product or book you have purchased on their site.
What’s going on?
From my research and experience with AMAZON and reviews, it seems that they will use your log-in email to see if you have any association with the seller. This is not a good thing. Many people have a G-mail account, this is a Google email, and Google, being the huge monster they are, connects all of your activity on Google with Social Media sites such as Facebook and Pinterest. Not to mention anyone in your circles on Gmail.
Let me give you an example as to what is happening.
Anne Rice is a famous Author, she uses all the social media sites to promote her books legitimately. I am a fan of Anne Rice. So she is on my “friends list” on Facebook, I have also corresponded with her on AMAZON Customer Discussion Forums, as well as left a comment on one of her videos on YouTube.
I do not have any interest in her personally but enjoy her books. However, due to the fact that I have had correspondence with Anne Rice on Social Media and she is in my Google circle, AMAZON revoked my right to leave any posts or reviews on their site for any product or book, even though all my reviews positive. I know other people who have had the same thing happen.
Now, as an AMAZON customer, I have the freedom to purchase from them but do not have the right to leave a review.
AMAZON is trying to take over the market, in my opinion creating a monopoly. And using tactics that are less than professional. Furthermore, they are making it almost impossible for a self-published Author to get the reviews they need and deserve. Because Self-Published authors use Social Media such as Facebook and other multi-media sources to promote their books. Being that I am an Author representative I cannot leave a review for one of my Authors, but, AMAZON has revoked my right to leave a review on a pair of pantyhose that I purchased from them, or the dress I bought or any other product that I am clearly not associated with the seller.
I would have no problem with AMAZON policies if they were fair. Obviously, it would be wrong for me to leave a favorable review for one of my Authors I represent, or for me to leave an unfavorable review for another Author. But, to not allow me to leave any review on any product I purchase from them is simply, being a bully.
Yes, AMAZON.com is a bully. They are using their power to abuse both sellers and buyers, all the while they will take your money in a heartbeat, and could care less if the product you purchased was faulty or subpar, and will leave you, the buyer, unable to express your concern about a product, or warn others before they buy it, all because they (AMAZON) “thinks” that you are biased because an Author is a Facebook friend, or you may have repinned a pin of their book on Pinterest. Do you see the ludicrousness in this?
My hope is that they can work out the bugs in their so-called “Fair Review System” that they say they want to maintain.
Written by Francesca M.B – Author Rep